from THE HINDU group of publications
Thursday, November 11, 1999
Business Line |
The Hindu |
I. Tea Party
Sit down with a cuppa and check out how hot you are on tea brands. (4 pts each)
- What is the main difference between ordinary tea brands and herbal tea brands?
- Which brand name of 100 per cent Darjeeling tea has its origin in a legend when a Buddhist monk visited the tea gardens and exclaimed that the brand name meant `thus far and no further'? (The name was adopted to the gardens and then later the brand)
- Which eponymous brand of tea was founded in the early 17th century after the founder bought Tom's Coffee house in London and set up operations? (This later got the Royal seal of approval and has been the supplier to the Queen of England for the past two centuries)
- What is the predominantly tea-based beverage brand launched by Hindustan Lever, amidst much criticism, to compete against loose and unbranded tea? (It has tea with chicory)
- Which tea brands are endorsed respectively by Mohammed Azharuddin and Zakir Hussain?
II. Baseline Play
David Ogilvy once wrote: ``Advertising agencies waste their client's money repeating the same mistakes.'' He was primarily referring to the example of setting copy in reverse (white type in black background). Check out the memorability of some of these slogans of watch brands. (1 pt each)
1. `The museum watch' a. Timex
2. `A different world' b. Maxima
3. `Time is what you make of it' c. Movado
4. `Strap your guts' d. Rado
5. `Because times are changing' e. Swatch
III. Copy Test
Following are words picked out of the body copy of a print ad, voice-over of a TVC or simply a baseline. Identify the brand.(3 pts each)
- `Zara si chai... asar dikhaye'
- `India's `most happening' pradesh'
- `Become what you are'
- `Narcissus, in Greek mythology, was a young man, admired by many for his striking good looks. Amazing `coincidence'
- `Our soft jeans have kissed denim goodbye'
IV. Take Your Pick
Select the right answer. (2 pts each)
- Which famous CEO was recently ranked by Fortune magazine as the `Manager of the Century'?
- Jack Welch
- Alfred Sloan
- Robert Goizueta
- Michael Eisner
- Which famous chemicals multinational owns photographic equipment and the film brand Agfa?
- Ciba Specialty Chemicals
- Which brand used the famous ad line `Probably the only long-term relationship Marilyn ever enjoyed'?
- Pepsi Cola
- Hamlet cigars
- Lee jeans
- Levi's jeans
- Which brand of fans and home appliances is endorsed by actress Manisha Koirala?
- Which international company now owns the software major Lotus Development Corporation?
Business Line |
The Hindu |
Copyright © 1999 Business Line.
Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are
expressly prohibited without the written consent of Business Line.